Travelling with a Metal Detector on an Airplane.
Want to take your metal detector on an airplane? Keen to do some detecting while on holiday overseas?
There are some important things to consider before you rush into it to ensure that your experience is a good one.
Taking your Metal Detector on an Airplane tips:
1. When Travelling with a Metal Detector always ensure that you put your metal detector in check in luggage (beneath the airplane). Never take it as carry-on.
- Travelling domestically you may get away with taking your detector in parts as carry-on however you should still try not to!
- Most airport security will not let you do so as anything that looks as scary as a detector does, carries an electric charge or can club someone over the head will give them a heart attack.
- If you are lucky they will only ask you to go and check it in at a hefty cost and scan you for further weapons etc.
2. Be sure to wrap your detector in cloths / bubble wrap to protect it and place it in the middle of your case.
3. It should not be necessary, however do try and ask the airline if you may take a hobby metal detector in your check in luggage. If you can ask for their confirmation in writing. Most airlines should give a verbal confirmation that its O.K. I got this from Singapore Airlines. But if you can, try get it in writing.
4. Be sure to take the batteries out of the machine incase it switches on during flight etc or the batteries damage the machine.
Traveling with your Metal Detector Overseas tips:
1. It appears all airlines allow hobby detectors to be checked in as all nations on earth adhere to the custom law which allows for metal detectors and associated equipment to go through their borders.
Using your Metal Detector Overseas tips:
1. It is very important to research as much as possible about the country you intend detecting in and familiarise yourself with the laws of the land.
- A good way to do this is to phone or email local dealers or chat to major suppliers.
- E.g. in Poland it is highly illegal to detect almost everywhere and in England it is perfectly legal.
- When in Rome do as the romans do.
- Use a lot of common sense and behave in a proper manner.
- As normal never trespass and always get permission for land you are unsure about.
We hope you have a smooth journey taking your metal detector on an airplane overseas and traveling with your beloved metal detector. It should be incident free and a fun in the sun if you stay informed.